Einsteigen Bitte!

Monday, January 22, 2007

HURRAH! Here I am ready to write another entry.

It has been a crazy few weeks. Homework is starting to really pile up as the semester comes to a close. It's hard to believe I have only got about a month here now. I've written up a list of everything I want to see and do in Berlin before I go, and have crossed off a few as well.

I took myself off to see Charlotte's Web (Schweinchen Wilbur und seine Freunden(I know, the title sucks in german)) about a week ago. It was really good. I can recommend you all go to see it. I'm pretty certain noone else in the cinema had ever read the book, cos even the adults were gasping with surprise.

Last Thursday was a maniac type of day. I had a physio appointment in the morning (I'm paying for my health insurance and am therefore also using it), which was followed by a lovely lunch of leftover pumpkin and spinach risotto thanks to my playing host to Dana the night before. I then headed out to a little place near Wannsee funnily enough called Haus am Wannsee (I'm not translating that, you can understand what that means without me).

This was the villa where all of Hitler's nearest and dearest sat down to brunch, cocktails and planning the elimination of the jewish race. Of course Hitler himself could not possibly be there himself... It was a really good little museum, way too much information to read at once. I skipped a fair it of it. Unfortunately they were setting up for some kind of press meeting or something of the like in the room where the conference actually took place, so i couldn't get a good look there.

Here is a lovely view over the Wannsee itself near the villa. As you can see it was a miserable day. I had intended to head to the Gruenewald train station, which is imfamous for being the station from which the Berliner jews were shipped out to the various concentraton camps, but due to the weather and the unexpected length on my visit to Haus am Wannsee I decided to head straight into town for my next adventure of the day.


I had to write an article on the reopening of the Bodemuseum (big museum, full of sculptures) for my media class, and as entry is free after 6pm on Thursdays I decided to visit then. I did intend to visit the museum anyway, the assignment added to my impetus. SO I trudged up to the centre of town and then walked from Hackescher Markt to the Museuminsel (museum island, literally, that's all that's there) in the bucketing rain and gusting wind. Thankgoodness for my trusty raincoat, plastic pants would have been a good idea as my pants were dripping when I arrived. I had a really good look aroud as part of a tour group. Unfortunately they decided to close early so that the staff could get home before the storm really hit, so we got kicked out earlier than I would have liked. Still really awesome. In case you haven't heard, a hurricane hit europe killing 34 people including 10 in Germany. This Thursday is when it hit...

On the weekend I went swimming, and locked myself out of my apartment in the meantime. I left my keys inside, and my door doesn't have a knob you can turn on the outside. Luckily for me I have cool neighbours, with tools. They simply unscrewed the face plate from my door knob and opened it that way. It's kinda scary how easily someone can break in, but there's always lots of people about in my house, so I'm not worried.

Otherwise I've just been bumming about and doing homework. Philadelphia was on TV last night, Lionel you would have loved that one. What do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?.. A good start!

Anywho, I need to do some work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home